Re: 64bit vs 32bit on a 64bit System

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 11:57 +0100, Boblitz John wrote:
> We are internally debating whether to install the 64bit port on our
> 64bit machine.
>
> Are there any reasons to NOT use the 64bit port?
>
> Cheers,
>
> John Boblitz
I,m running a mixed stable/testing system with as many 64 bit apps from
Debian as I need. I run also Windows 7Pro, Ubuntu 64, & Linux Mint Julia
on this same box. Its a toy. I have had only some issues which I've
overcome with flash as some others have mentioned. I use Firefox &
Google Chrome as my browsers of choice. I prefer Google Chrome. My acid
test for this system, how many tabs can I open in Chrome & actively use
before it crashes. I play an online browser MMR so Its 100% actively
updating each tab continuously. In Debian, its 11 tabs, Windows 7 pro,
its 19 tabs, Linux mint its 9, Ubuntu its 9. I am not sure why there is
a difference, so I run Debian when I have the box running in a web
server mode, which is most of the time. I use Windows for personal
entertainment, & Linux Mint for system maint. Ubuntu is used for system
back up purposes. Each OS is running on its on 1 TB drive so no issues
there. As  a web server I run a data based (postgresql) photo gallery
for my family & its huge.
I dont know if this helps but I thought I might share my experiences
rather than just my opinions.
YMMV'
John