Re: Firware drivers?

On Ma, 08 feb 11, 20:06:54, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 09:09:20 -0800, Mark wrote:
>
> > So given that info, on systems that already have "contrib non-free" in
> > /etc/apt/sources.list with the appropriate firmware installed and
> > working, will the "firmware-linux" metapackage load the necessary
> > firmware when following the procedures in the Release Notes? Or will
> > the methods in the Debian Wiki be necessary after upgrading?
>
> Also note that the metapackage is like a "bundle" for all the firmwares
> and you may not need all of them. I hope there is still available each
> firmware to download independently :-?

It's easy to check ;)

$ LANG=C apt-cache depends firmware-linux
firmware-linux
  Depends: firmware-linux-free
  Depends: firmware-linux-nonfree
$ LANC=C apt-cache show firmware-linux-nonfree
[snip]
 This package contains the binary firmware for  various drivers in the
 Linux kernel.  This is a collection of firmware blobs which are not
 individually large enough to warrant a standalone package.
 .
 Contents:
[snip 75 lines with the firmware files contained]

Regards,
Andrei