Re: Sticking with Lenny

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 15:22:08 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> I feel quite embarrassed in reading this above. I am still on Lenny, and
> wishes to remain that way for as long as possible, hopefully until I buy
> a new computer.
>
> My 'sources.list' has a few calls for 'stable', and some calls for
> 'lenny'.

That also hapenned to me on one box. One of the repositories was pointing
to "stable" and after doing an "apt-get update && apt-get -V upgrade" I
got over 400 new packages :-)

Of course, I said "no" to the question about the upgrade.

> How am I to know for sure whether or not I have already
> installed packages from Squeeze ? Last package I installed was 'xine-ui'
> and, not later than 2-3 days ago, I have installed libdvdcss2 and
> w32codecs. How am I to know whether it is too late to changes calls to
> "stable" to calls to "Lenny" ?

dpkg -l <package_name> will tell what version is installed.

> I thought that Squeeze had not yet been acknowledged as 'stable', but,
> obviously, I failed to keep informed in due time.
>
> Below is the content of my source.list:
>
> deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
                                       ^^^^^^

Change that to "lenny"

> http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ testing main contrib non-free
                                    ^^^^^^^

Change that to "lenny".

Okay, at least your "libdvdcss2" probably came from D-M testing...

Hum, what hapenned with debian-multimedia lenny packages, are they gone?
I see this notice:

***
07/02/2011 :
Oldstable is completely broken and I can't restore this release, so the
best is to remove Oldstable.
Sorry
***

So, no more packages for lenny on D-M?