[SOLVED] Re: Lenny -> Squeeze kernel upgrade

Very helpful, thank you Bob!

Mark

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Mark wrote:
> Since I have kernel 2.6.26-2-686 just as the Release Notes say, I thought I
> would have to install linux-image-2.6.32-x-686 (for example), instead of "
> linux-image-2.6-686".
>
> Can anyone help clarify please?

The linux-image-2.6-686 package is a metapackage that exists only to
depend upon the latest kernel package linux-image-2.6.32-x-686.  It is
designed to pull in upgrades.  That is why the release notes say to
install it.  Installing the metapackage also installs the latest point
release kernel.

What is the point of confusion over linux-image-2.6.32-x-686?  Sure
you can avoid the metapackage and install it manually.  But then you
will always have to install the latest point release manually.  That
isn't as good.  It is better to follow the release notes and install
the metapackage so that the latest point release kernel is installed
automatically when you install security upgrades.

Note that a lot of Linux kernel users install their own custom kernel
for custom hardware support.  They are the ones that the release notes
are dancing around.  They won't have the stock kernel installed.
Since you do you don't need to worry about it.  Just follow the
release notes and install the linux-image-2.6-686 kernel.