Re: parameters and the command line

In <[🔎] 201102060600.08478.lisi.reisz@gmail.com>, Lisi wrote:
>Since I first used Linux I have been used (apparently erroneously) to the
>idea of:
>command options argument

I think using that terminology will generally get your point across.

>Now suddenly the word "parameters" jumps out at me in this context.

This term is often avoided when discussing the shell, unless you are talking
about shell functions.  The term includes what both options and arguments
from above and can also mean the constructs used to access those values from
within the function body.

>Help!  What are parameters?

If you want semi-formal defintions...

From SUSv2:
Parameters and Variables
 A parameter can be denoted by a name, a number or one of the special
characters listed in  Special Parameters . A variable is a parameter denoted
by a name.
 A parameter is set if it has an assigned value (null is a valid value). Once
a variable is set, it can only be unset by using the unset special built-in
command.

My examples would be $1, $@, $USER, $LC_ALL, and $bar.

Also from SUSv2:
Utility Syntax Guidelines
 The following guidelines are established for the naming of utilities and for
the specification of options, option-arguments and operands. The getopt()
function in the XSH specification assists utilities in handling options and
operands that conform to these guidelines.
 Operands and option-arguments can contain characters not specified in the
portable character set.
[...]
Guideline  4:
All options should be preceded by the "-" delimiter character.
Guideline  5:
Options without option-arguments should be accepted when grouped behind one
"-" delimiter.
Guideline  6:
Each option and option-argument should be a separate argument, except as
noted in  Utility Argument Syntax , item (2).
Guideline  7:
Option-arguments should not be optional.
[...]
Guideline  9:
All options should precede operands on the command line.
Guideline 10:
The argument -- should be accepted as a delimiter indicating the end of
options. Any following arguments should be treated as operands, even if they
begin with the "-" character. The -- argument should not be used as an option
or as an operand. Applications calling any utility with a first operand
starting with - should usually specify --, as indicated by Guideline 10, to
mark the end of the options. This is true even if the SYNOPSIS in the XCU
specification does not specify any options; implementations may provide
options as extensions to the XCU specification. The standard utilities that
do not support Guideline 10 indicate that fact in the OPTIONS section of the
utility description.

So, if you work within the analogy of C function ~=~ shell command, then you
get C formal parameter ~=~ shell Positional Parameter, C actual parameter `=~
shell argument, C variable ~=~ Shell non-Positional Parameter.  The shell
terms "option", "option-argument", and "operand" don't directly correspond to
C terms.  "options" include things like "-E" or "-q" to grep and "-l" to wc.
"option-arguments" include things like what follows "-f" to tar or "-e" to
sed or grep. "operands" are generally path names (files or directories), but
they might be something else; they don't "belong" to a particular "option"
but rather direct the global behavior of the command.

HTH