Build Deb install then move it

Its been a good long while since I tried anything like this.  So let
me try to describe what I want to do and see if anyone can coach me a
bit.

I'm running a linux OS now and have been for yrs, I want to switch
whole hog to debian, which I've also done, but yrs ago.

I don't want to shut down my working OS any longer than necessary.

I'm thinking I could start building up a debian install in a virtual
machine.  Get it working in all basics and get all the `must have'
software running.

My `must have' isn't terribly long, but includes sendmail, emacs,
apache, X.  A working mail setup, but just a single user type with
fetchmail, sendmail and mail reader (emacs+gnus).

Lots of network related utils like nmap, tcptraceroute.  But if I have
a working mail setup, the rest can come along later.

Once all that is working wouldn't I be able to move the whole thing
onto the existing linux desktop by doing a network install of debian,
formatting whatever space then use dd or maybe something more modern
to plop the fleshed out OS from the virutal machine onto the bare
install `/' disk.

Or any other or better way to get this done.

Anyone here that can offer a brief outline of how to proceed?