Re: why is the RIGHT ALT key ignored?

On 02/04/2011 08:22 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Fri, 04 Feb 2011, Roger Leigh wrote:
On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 06:52:09PM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
Why in emacs, iceweasel, etc. is RIGHT ALT ignored? LEFT ALT is
processed as ALT, but RIGHT ALT is treated like I didn't press it.
Set as a compose key?

Does 'RightAlt o c' give you '©', 'RightAlt ' a' give you 'á' etc.?
Or as AltGr (sort of a mode shift), as in RightAlt+r gives you ®.

You can configure it.  The easiest way is to use your desktop
environment to do it.  Otherwise, you have to read a lot on XKB and its
utilities, xmodmap, etc.

That's interesting. I don't think I ever used the right alt key for anything,
so I didn't know whether it worked or not! On Win7, you need the old-
fashioned 3-finger salute to change to admin, but I always used the 2 left
keys plus delete. When I did the key configuration that Roger wrote
about, I used the right ctrl key to make a compose key--I don't
have any Windows keys at all on my wonderful IBM keyboards.
I guess I could have used the R-alt. But I don't think I ever used the R-ctrl
for anything else either. I like to have a compose key: you can make all
the European diacritical marks, the German ß character, the € sign, the ¢
sign,the British £, fractions (I forget how, but you can).

--doug