[Solved] Starting NFS common utilities failed

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 23:40:57 -0800, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:

>>   statd+ start-stop-daemon --start --oknodo --quiet --exec
>>   /sbin/rpc.statd
>> --
>>  + RET=1
> Yep, same here.

Thanks for your helps, Dr. Morbius. I found the real reason, and file a
bug report:

Starting NFS common utilities failed

The real reason is that the post install process of nfs-common
didn't deal with portmap:

 $ grep portmap /etc/runlevel.conf || echo not found
 not found

I.e., the portmap is not enabled by default as the daemon.

Starting it manually solve the problem: . . .

check http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=612002
for details.

> . . . Googling suggests a missing config file or
> state file -- does /var/lib/nfs/ exist, and is it populated?
>     /var/lib/nfs/statd/sm/state
>     /var/lib/nfs/statd/sm/*
>     /var/lib/nfs/statd/sm.bak/*

Just for the archive, in Debian the files are:

$ find /var/lib/nfs/

Thanks again.

Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)