Re: why is the RIGHT ALT key ignored?

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 02:52,  <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:
> Why in emacs, iceweasel, etc. is RIGHT ALT ignored? LEFT ALT is
> processed as ALT, but RIGHT ALT is treated like I didn't press it.
>
> xev shows that indeed my keyboard is not broken,
> KeyPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x1a00001,
>    root 0x119, subw 0x0, time 5852895, (169,-14), root:(173,546),
>    state 0x0, keycode 108 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,

>ISO_Level3_Shift
AKA AltGr
Either that is explicitly set somewhere, or you are using a keymap
(e.g. US_Intl)
that includes it. It should let you type stuff like áéæ©ñµ (altgr+ a,
e, z, c, n, m
respectively), or possibly it is a compose key (e.g. hold altgr and press a and
then e = æ) or a dead key (altgr+a, let go, press e = æ).

>Wait, even on the console outside of x-windows it's that way! What's
going on?

On modern setups, X and the Console can share a common keyboard
config. (/etc/default/keyboard with the console-setup package)

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers