Re: X freeze the system after upgrade

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 12:42:22 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 01:25:28 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>>
>>> My Xorg completely freeze up the system after my recent upgrade.
>> . . . it is Debian Testing, kernel version 2.6.35.
>
> ... why are you loading the VESA driver? :-?

Oh, I took a look and recalled that I was trying the radeon driver before
and it cause the same lock up as this before. Switching to vesa was a
quick cure, and I never bother looked further since:

 $ grep -B1 vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vesa
        #Driver      "radeon"
        Driver      "vesa"

So I now remove the xorg.conf entirely, and let X to figure everything
out this time.

 $ ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf
 ls: cannot access /etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory

But it froze again, can't even move mouse or switch to virtual console.

The whole Xorg.0.log is posted at
http://pastebin.com/0uBgq0Wv

> Can you "ssh" to the machine while X is frozen?

Strange I couldn't even ping before -- destination unreachable.

But now (having boot to console), I can ping and ssh while the X is
frozen.

Here are things that looks strange to me in Xorg.0.log:

$ grep -i LoadModule Xorg.0.log
(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) LoadModule: "dbe"
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(II) LoadModule: "ati"
(II) LoadModule: "radeon"
(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule: "fb"
(II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
(II) LoadModule: "exa"
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"

I.e., at certain time, 3 display drivers are loaded at the same time,
while the vesa was unloaded later, but still both ati and radeon are
still loaded at the same time:

(II) LoadModule: "ati"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
(II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
--
(II) LoadModule: "radeon"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so

$ tail -3 Xorg.0.log
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0
(II) RADEON(0): Setting screen physical size to 338 x 270

The screen physical size is 338x270? Strange.

Please help.
Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)