[Solution] panning using xrandr

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:31:55 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> Now the question that I really want,
>
> How can I reduce the size of my display to a smaller size, while keep
> the virtual size of my display to my current size, using panning to view
> all virtual display.

whole tread is documented at
http://sfxpt.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/panning-using-xrandr/

excerpt:

I had always been wondering, how can I reduce the size of my display to a
smaller size, while keep the virtual size of my display to my current
size, using a command.

"Wait, why would you need that?" You may ask. Well, that's a secret trick
that I've been playing for years --

 [ . . . ]

Quick answer:

To reduce to a smaller display size,

 xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 640x480 --panning 1920x1080

This will reduce the size of my display to a smaller size (640x480), while
keep the virtual size of my display to my current size.  To view the other
virtual display area, just panning with the mouse.

To get a list of display size can be used, use 'xrandr'. Here is output of
mine:

 $ xrandr
 Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 4096 x 4096
 VGA-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
477mm x 268mm panning 1920x1080+0+0
    1920x1080      60.0*+
    1280x1024      75.0     60.0
    1440x900       59.9
    1280x800       59.8
    1152x864       75.0
    1024x768       70.1     60.0
    800x600        60.3     56.2
    640x480        66.7     60.0
    720x400        70.1

It shows that the smaller sizes that I can use are, 1280x1024, 1440x900,
1280x800, ...., 800x600, 720x400 and 640x480.

BTW, There is also an old X11 trick to change the screen resolution,
Ctrl-Alt plus + or - from the number pad.  That's the trick that I've been
playing for years. However, as you can tell, it'd be tiresome to do it
now, because previously there's about 3 modes that I can switch in
between, and now it is tiresome to cycle through all the display mode
above.

To restore,

 xrandr -s 1920x1080

For details, read on.