Re: VM speed benchmark

Thanks everyone who replied.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 00:43:46 -0500, shawn wilson wrote:

> benchmarks cost too much time and money to do right and someone always
> wants to argue with them. . .

I know it's against vmware licensing policy to publish benchmark data.
But all I was asking was kind of friend-to-friend recommendation, not
something you publish seriously on you blog. In fact, all I wanted to
know was a quick

 /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/sda

test result inside and outside vm.

Using VirtualBox as an exmample, I don't think there will be a great
difference between the result of an expert and mine, of the comparative
figure between vm and host (but I could be wrong).

It's all evident based and it's a quick gauge, not some serious
measure. . . Anyway, it's totally OK for someone not give such result,
just trying to explaining my point here.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 05:21:46 +0000, elbbit wrote:

> Inside a VirtualBox guest, running Debian Lenny, using a IDE based hard
> disk file . . .

> Inside a VirtualBox guest, running Debian Lenny, using a SATA based hard
> disk file . . .
>
> Inside a VirtualBox guest, running Debian Lenny, using a set of SATA
> based hard disk files . . .
>
> Outside on the VirtualBox host hardware, running Debian Lenny, using a
> IDE based 1.8" hard disk . . .

Thanks a lot elbbit, this is exactly the kind of info that I was looking
for.

Thanks everyone for your replies again.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)