Problem with dns-search option with dhclient

Folks,

I have a Debian Lenny box running ISC-DHCPd.  This is providing the DNS
search option via option dns-search "sub.exmaple.com example.com".  This
is recieved quite happilly by the dhcpcd on my Gentoo box, arriving as
"search sub.exmaple.com example.com" in /etc/resolv.conf.

When it's recieved by dhclient on my Lenny box, things go less well.
What appears in /etc/resolv.conf is "search
sub.example.com\032example.com".  I have tried swapping the space for a
tab in the dhcpd.conf file.  This just causes \032 to be replaced by
whatever the decimal code for tab is.  I have done a tcpdump and I can
see that all looks well on the wire.  I can see the ASCII code for space
in between the ASCII codes for m and e.  I have run a debug with
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/debug and this also prints \032 to the
debug file.

I've had trouble constructing a Google query to turn up anything
meaningful on the subject.  I have tried building a test Lenny box and
can replicate the problem on this also.  As it was a test box, I
upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze to see what happened.  It upgraded the
dhclient but it was still exhibiting the same problem.

I also tried adding each search domain in a seperation option dns-search
declaration in dhcpd.conf and this broke resolv.conf beyond words!

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening here and how to
resolve it?

Mike.