Re: which is at fault? iceweasel or drupal?

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 22:00:14 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> Occasionally while browsing with iceweasel, the machine slows to a crawl
> and the processor usage (as displayed by system monitor) stays at 100
> percent.  Almost always, this happens when browsing a web site which
> uses drupal as its engine.

Run "top" and sort by CPU usage to find the culprit.

> I have experienced this phenomenon with Etch, Lenny, and Squeeze, and on
> various machines.
>
> Because of a previous experience in which drupal appears to have given
> vandals access to my web site, I suspect that the culprit is drupal; but
> perhaps the combination of iceweasel and drupal has a synergstic effect
> for the worse.

Drupal "per se" cannot be the culprit. It's quite wide and plenty of
modules. Most probably is that a concrete combination of some scripting
or DOM techniques used within the portal is giving headaches to your
browser. Modern (and the most up-to-date) browsers tend to handle better
such situations.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón