Re: hide url in apache2

Jesus arteche wrote:
> I have a web application running in apache2, www.example.com. When I put
> this on the navigator it goes to www.example.com/users/login. I want the
> client just see www.example.com in the url of the navigator. And the same
> for the others webs in the application. There is some way to do this in
> Apache2????

If I understand you correctly you enter:

  http://www.example.com/

but then "magically" you see that the browser ends up being at

  http://www.example.com/users/login

is that right?  I think there is a point that you are missing.  If so
then it is because the site you went to has decided that the user was
not logged in and sent the browser a redirect.  The browser followed
the redirect from the first url to the second url.  Presumably to
allow the user to login.  After the user has logged in then presumably
they would no longer be redirected.  If the web site has coded for it
then after logging in then it may send yet another redirect and send
the browser back to the original URL.  This type of redirection is
very common.

You can make these redirections more visible by using a tool such as
wget to show you the headers.

  wget -S -O/dev/null http://www.example.com/

I expect you will see something similar to this line in the output.

  Location: http://www.example.com/users/login

Sites will routinely redirect a browser from one location to another
such as to login when trying to access a portion of the site that
needs authorization.  It is doing something that is necessary.  This
isn't something that you want to hide in the location bar.

Bob