Re: nameserver issues involving *.debian.org

Joel Roth wrote:
> Some nslookup oddities have been bothering me.  Does it look
> to you like my ISP is blocking certain DNS queries?

Something seems broken.  Probably broken rather than blocking.

> [maseru]$ nslookup debian.org

I know nslookup is the venerable old tool.  But it produces a lot of
noise in the output.  You might look into using with host or dig.

  $ host debian.org
  debian.org has address 206.12.19.7
  debian.org has address 128.31.0.51
  debian.org mail is handled by 0 master.debian.org.

  $ dig debian.org a +short
  128.31.0.51
  206.12.19.7

> $ nslookup debian.org 66.33.216.127
> 	;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>
> $ nslookup ftp.us.debian.org 66.33.216.127
> 	;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Looks broken to me.

I recommend installing a local nameserver and using it instead.  Then
you shouldn't have this type of problem.  Plus since it is broken you
are bound to have other problems with other addresses.  For example
you could install BIND9 and use the default configuration as a local
caching nameserver.

  $ sudo apt-get install bind9

Then ensure that 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' exists in /etc/resolv.conf and
you should be set.  By "ensure" I mean that you should use either
'resolvconf' to maintain that file or perhaps use a 'dns-nameservers'
statement in /etc/network/interfaces or edit the resolv.conf file
manually or whatever is appropriate for your system.

Bob