Re: help

In <[🔎] 20110131040038.GA3315@fischer>, Chris Bannister wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 02:40:01PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> >
>> > Sigh. Are you running Ubuntu?
>> >
>> > Ubuntu is NOT Debian.
>>
>> If you do an expert install you are offered the choice to disable root
>> logins and use sudo instead. Yes, this is on Debian, squeeze installer.
>
>Oh!  ok. Then again, "expert" does imply that you know what you are
>doing, which seems a bit backwards.

I maintain that experts will be more likely to use sudo than su.  It
provides better granularity and helps avoid password sharing.  A password
shared is a password compromised.

I currently maintain 2 physical systems, 2 personal VPS, 1 business VPS, and
share maintainership of at least 1-2 more.  Most of them have the root
account disabled.  None of them allow root to connect over ssh.  All have
sudo available.