Re: About Asterisk, 'best' practices, suggestions, etc.

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 13:57, Roman Khomasuridze
<khomasuridze@gmail.com> wrote:
> wouldn't it be better to use Debian packages of Asterisk instead of
> compiling?

I'd say it depends: if the Debian package has everything you want,
cool, use it; if not, compile it. Or both, you can use checkinstall
and similar to compile your own and still have a .deb, or just simply
compile and shove the binary in a .deb.

> I'm much more familiar with Debian then other distros, I prefer to base those servers on Debian,

There's no harm in trying other distros and OSes, quite the contrary.
VMs are great for that.

These are general though, not Asterisk-specific obviously. I don't use
it, although i've thought of giving it a try just to get my hands
dirty, but a simple 56K modem won't cut it (apparently you need a
specific card) and now my ISP's voice is fiber/VoIP, so there's not
much point anymore,

My 2¢
Nuno

--