Re: Help with Squeeze on Acer Aspire D250

On Sat 29 Jan 2011 at 21:50:59 -0700, david wildgoose wrote:

> Below is how I'm setting up the USB install stick:
>
> Downloaded the following files
> http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/20110106/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/squeeze_di_rc2/i386/iso-cd/debian-squeeze-di-rc2-i386-netinst.iso
>
> Extracted boot.img.gz using the following command: gzip -dc
> boot.img.gz > /dev/disk1
>
> Copied the iso image to the USB stick.
>
> Any ideas why the installer is freezing?

I did something similar only yesterday except using

   zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdX

zcat is equivalent to gzip -d and the image must be written to the disk
not to a partition (e.g. sda1 or sda2) on the disk.

So I've no concrete idea why the installer is freezing but do have a
suggestion. The netinst.iso is now a hybrid iso

http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/Debian_USB_install_from_hybrid_iso/

and

http://blog.einval.com/2011/01/07

You could try

   cat debian-squeeze-di-rc2-i386-netinst.iso > /dev/sdX