Re: interfaces tab missing in network-admin on Squeeze

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:34:07 +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> There is a bug report opened:
>>
>> gnome-system-tools: network-admin does not show the first "Connections"
>> pane, so cannot modify interfaces
>
>    yes. Here is the bug report:
>
>     > When I open network-admin (with gksudo) I see no "Connections"
>     > pane which would allow me to edit/enable the connections I would
>     > like to use.
>
>    and here the answer
>
>        That was disabled in favour of network-admin. Cheers,
>        Emilio
>    it seems that Emilio didn't reread his answer !

I can be wrong, but I think he didn't want to say that :-)

>> Hum... I read it as "network-admin" has been replaced for "network
>> manager", at least when it comes to managing the network interfaces
>> settings and that's why it has been removed.
>
>     did he mean that? May-be he will correct his answer. Anyway,
>     NetwokManager is a daemon, so you still need a tool to configure the
>     connections, like  nm-applet or nm-connection-editor. I'll try them
>     when I have some time.

Yes, NM connections can be managed with the "nm-applet" and I think that
was the reason for the removement of the connections tab. Anyway, I dunno
if that is an upstream change (inside the GNOME project) or a decision
taken by Debian GNOME team :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón