Re: Realtek 8185 chipset problem

On 01/29/2011 06:10 PM, Wayne Topa wrote:
On 01/29/2011 07:40 PM, Paul Scott wrote:
On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 02:01:49PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 03:02:20PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:23:54 -0500 (EST), Paul Scott wrote:

I must leave for a while and I don't know whether it shows up for this
card but do you know what missing firmware err=-110 is?  I can find
other errors online but not this one.

I haven't found any official documentation, but one post I found seems
to suggest that -110 is a timeout error.  How about if you post all
the kernel boot messages?

I believe this is a separate problem with the Orinoco Silver I am using now. I will reboot with the rtl8185 card installed and see if the message is still there.>

I'm attaching a dmesg because this might help me get the Orinoco Silver working again for secured networks with a newer kernel. It works fine using dhclient now on unsecured
                                         ^^^^^^^^
                                        using what, wicd or ??

With dhclient or /etc/network/interfaces. wicd doesn't see it either probably because of the firmware problem.

If it worked with wicd then you can try copying the /etc/wicd/encryption/templates/wpa-psk file to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and edit in your info and try it.

That is on a hard drive which died so I don't have it.

for the firmware you can try the
firmware-linux-nonfree package  which does contain some Orinoco firmware.

I have that installed. There has been a problem in the past with agere_X_fw.bin files but they seem to be the right ones now.

apt-cache show firmware-linux-nonfree to see if your card is one of them.

The Orinoco Silver (Hermes I Lucent Agere) is. The 8185 does not seem to be.

I'm trying to see why the firmware is not working for the Orinoco card and will start a separate thread if I can't get that figured out.

Thanks,

Paul