Re: apache2 ftp password

I think you should mention the name of the ftp server software you are
using. If you are using ftp to upload files to /var/www, I don't think
it will have anything to do with Apache (as far as security or upload
management is concerned).

If have not installed ftp server software yet, a quick search on
Debian Packages led me to proftpd. If you wish to use SSL to protect
the password, then you might want to look at ftpd-ssl.