Re: Squeeze. 'Buffer I/O error' message has flooding tty opened as root

Mark Goldshtein wrote:
> .. and there are flood of messages:
> [time stamp] Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
> end_request:  I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
>
> Messages are stopped after a while, though. Maybe 20-30 of them passed.

I don't know what process is trying to access the floppy but failing
but this information about the console may be useful to you.

The dmesg -nNUMBER sets the level at which the kernel will log
messages to the console.  The log level is less than the number.  The
Linux kernel contains the following:

   #define KERN_EMERG   "<0>" /* system is unusable                    */
   #define KERN_ALERT   "<1>" /* action must be taken immediately      */
   #define KERN_CRIT    "<2>" /* critical conditions                   */
   #define KERN_ERR     "<3>" /* error conditions                      */
   #define KERN_WARNING "<4>" /* warning conditions                    */
   #define KERN_NOTICE  "<5>" /* normal but significant condition      */
   #define KERN_INFO    "<6>" /* informational                         */
   #define KERN_DEBUG   "<7>" /* debug-level messages                  */

The kernel default is 8 so that all messages are logged to the
console.  You might be able to get some immediately relief by setting
the console logging level to 3.  I believe that should prevent these
messages from being sent to the console.  They will still be logged
in the system log /var/log/syslog where you should continue to debug
the problem.

  dmesg -n3

If that fails to silence those messages to the console then you might
try a log level of 2 to tighten things up further so that you can use
the console to continue to debug the problem.

To make that happen at boot time you could put that into /etc/rc.local
so that it would happen at every boot.

Bob