Re: Disable sound of 1 application

2011-01-24 09:34, Sander Joris skrev:
I'm looking for a way to disable the sound of one application without it
interfering with any other applications. Is there a way to do this in
Debian?

I do not know if the solution is good in your case, as it is rather invasive, but per-application volume controls are available if you switch to pulseaudio for your system.

Unfortunately, I do not know where to look for up-to-date debian documentation on setting it up.

As a warning, I have never gotten pulseaudio to work for all my audio needs (games, media players, wine, flash, bluetooth and skype) at the same time, so if you are mostly happy with your current configuration, pulseaudio may not help..

I believe that by this time most desktop distributions are using pulseaudio as the default system for sound.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PulseAudio>
<http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/pulseaudio>
<http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup>

/ johan