[OT] AV engines (was: NOD32 on Linux)

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 02:57:07 -0800, kellyremo wrote:

> Anyone using it?

Not in linux, but from time to time I run online tests on windows
machines and use Eset's scanning service. I find it reasonably good.

> http://beta.eset.com/linux
>
> What are the experiences? Does it slows down the pc? Do we need it?

I generally don't like how current AV are engined, neither in windows nor
linux. Most of them still base their core detection on static firm files
and todays threats are a bit more complicated and hard to detect.

AVs (now called "Security Suites") under windows environments tend to
slow down the whole system a lot and on linux I only use ClamAV for
scanning some samba specific shared files and within Postfix e-amil
server (for scanning user's e-mails). Still, I recommend its use for
windows home users.

My every-day Debian systems do not have any "anti-threat" software
installed.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón