Re: NOD32 on Linux

On 01/23/2011 05:57 AM, kellyremo wrote:
Anyone using it?

http://beta.eset.com/linux

What are the experiences? Does it slows down the pc? Do we need it?

Disclaimer: My experience with NOD32 is all on the Windows side, and it ended around two years ago. The sad story below is only my own story, but I can honestly testify that it wasn't an unusual one among corporate NOD32 users at one point in time. I very much hope that ESET has put that part of its history well behind it by now.

I can tell you that version 2.7 (2.732, if memory serves) was a light, effective anti-malware solution for Windows. It was the only such software that I ever found that I could run on the heavily laden Windows application and file servers at work without causing severe performance issues. (Symantec AV and others I tested even caused spontaneous rebooting of some types of servers which were, admittedly, running horrendously bad software.)

Then ESET "improved" NOD32 -- first with version 3, and then with version 4. Both versions (I imagine much earlier builds than the one you are considering) were a gigantic step backward, as far as my servers and I were concerned. These versions were beset with ridiculous bugs and caused huge performance penalties (not as bad as SAV or McAfee, but still...). I felt that ESET were essentially marketing software in its alpha (no, not even beta) stage of development.

I stuck with version 2.7xx for a couple of years, but come budget time one day we decided to ditch it, since ESET would NOT guarantee continued support for the old version for any specified length of time.

Versions 3 and 4 of NOD32 were total rewrites of the software from 2.732 and constituted a complete change in the way the software examined processes in memory. And by the time I finished configuring all of the "special" file system locations their support people told me to exempt from scanning, I might as well not have been running the software at all. Even after extreme special configuration effort versions 3 and 4 were still causing performance bottlenecks due to myriad file handles issues on the servers. Workstations running version 4 were okay, but not as "happy" as they had been with the 2.7xx version.

Furthermore, the way the user interface was implemented on these later versions showed either ignorance of, or a disregard for, the way security works (such as it is) for Windows user accounts (XP, Vista).

NOD32 used to be light and iron-stove reliable. The last I saw of it -- which I admit was quite a while ago -- the new versions were anything but.

And their user support model was ludicrous -- a user forum, with moderators from their support group -- was about all that was available from the central part of the company. Unfortunately, the VAR I used wasn't any better, and was harder to reach.

What started out for me as a few years (3, I think) of extraordinarily good experiences with ESET, turned into one of the bigger disappointments I've had with a software company in almost 40 years of computing experience.

I hope, for their and their customers' sakes, I was just seeing them in the throes of corporate expansion difficulties. But it really wasn't looking good. They were one of the more important of several major reasons (besides Windows itself) why I finally threw up my hands in horror and walked away from Windows.

Whether or not you need something like NOD32 -- or any anti-virus / anti-malware at all -- under GNU/Linux would depend largely upon the use of the system, particularly with respect to whether or not it has to handle a lot of mail / files / network traffic for Windows systems. I couldn't be much help in assessing that since I'm not troubling myself with Windows very much these days. I limit myself to not allowing my few Windows users to transfer executables or image files onto Windows systems from anywhere other than a vetted source, and totally prohibiting Internet contact of any kind for Windows production systems, with the exception of plain text e-mail. That's not a practical approach for many companies, but it happens to work beautifully for this place.

Anti-virus probably isn't usually very high as a priority for most GNU/Linux systems, except in certain cases, though there are certainly other precautions that a prudent user of such a system should use.

Good luck!

Regards,
Gilbert