Re: media / duplex / speed on a bonded interface

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
RR put forth on 1/21/2011 3:24 PM:

> # mii-tool -v bond-voipvlan
> bond-voipvlan: 10 Mbit, half duplex, link ok
>   product info: vendor 00:01:00, model 0 rev 4
>   basic mode:   10 Mbit, half duplex
>   basic status: link ok
>   capabilities:
>   advertising:
>
> That looks pretty dodgey. Is that just a bug in the mii-tool

We just had a lengthy discussion about this not long ago.  Here's the short of it:

Media Independent Interface (MII):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Independent_Interface

mii-tool is designed to work only with physical hardware connected to the MII bus.

A Linux bonded network interface is a phantom kernel software device.  It exists
purely as a data set in the kernel.  A kernel data set has no link speed or duplex.

Does this fully answer your question?

Yes, thank you :)

Try ethtool instead. If that's still not satisfactory, you could always go straight to the horses mouth, and direct mii-tool at each *physical* interface separately.

So I'd already tried ethtool first and it doesn't know anything about the bonded interface either. So I guess I'm fine as both my physical interfaces seem to be connected/communicating at full duplex and 1000 Mbps.

Thanks for Clarifiying that Stan :)