Re: media / duplex / speed on a bonded interface

RR put forth on 1/21/2011 3:24 PM:

> # mii-tool -v bond-voipvlan
> bond-voipvlan: 10 Mbit, half duplex, link ok
>   product info: vendor 00:01:00, model 0 rev 4
>   basic mode:   10 Mbit, half duplex
>   basic status: link ok
>   capabilities:
>   advertising:
>
> That looks pretty dodgey. Is that just a bug in the mii-tool

We just had a lengthy discussion about this not long ago.  Here's the short of it:

Media Independent Interface (MII):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Independent_Interface

mii-tool is designed to work only with physical hardware connected to the MII bus.

A Linux bonded network interface is a phantom kernel software device.  It exists
purely as a data set in the kernel.  A kernel data set has no link speed or duplex.

Does this fully answer your question?

Try ethtool instead. If that's still not satisfactory, you could always go
straight to the horses mouth, and direct mii-tool at each *physical* interface
separately.

--
Stan