Re: Question related to FDE (Full Disk Encryption) solution under Linux Debian Lenny

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:21:24 +0000, Thomas Nguyen Van wrote:

> Our company needs to encrypt hard drives on our machines running under
> Linux Debian Lenny. Seagate proposes FDE solutions with Momentus 5400
> and/or 7200
> (http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/fr-FR/whitepaper/mb595_2_momentus_fde_sed_ii_sq_kit.pdf)
>
> This solution is very interesting because the password or the passphrase
> is not stored on the hard drive but in the BIOS in their case. So that a
> server can reboot without any human intervention.
>
> However, this solution only works under windows !! They don't plan to
> support under linux such a disk. :o( So my question is : could you
> suggest another FDE solution compliant with a Lenny distribution?

Hardware based FDE that uses BIOS for unlocking the drive should be OS-
independent and I think the above datasheet is aimed to certify system
integrators and their software solutions.

I mean, are you sure Momentus drives do not work under linux? I would
contact Seagate.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón