Re: Let's talk about HTTPS Everywhere

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok. It's a Firefox Add-on:
>
> https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere
>
> Questions:
>
> 2) Did anyone audited the "HTTPS Everywhere" code?
> 3) Can someone trust this Add-on? Is it safe to install/use?

I don't think there's anything to worry about, since this is en EFF project.

> 4) If it's so great why isn't it more prevalent?

I think you're a bit confused about what this extension does. It doesn't
magically secure connections to all websites, it merely instructs the browser
to use the https protocol with websites that support it but don't have it
enabled by default. Remember that https, compared with http, requires some
extra work on both the client and the server. Therefore, websites are reluctant
to enable it by default, unless it is absolutely necessary.