Re: Sound recording in Debian Lenny

On Tuesday 18 January 2011 01:50:31 Joel Roth wrote:

> Audacity is generally easy to use, available on multiple
> platforms, and is my first recommendation to people new to
> audio processing.
>
> > > You might also take a look at mhwaveedit.  Very simple, and not many
> > > options, but it works well.
>
> Depending on your needs, and if the GUI waveform display isn't so important
> you may like to experiment with Nama. (Nama does have a simple
> Tk UI for controlling transport, effects, etc. with more advanced
> features available at the command prompt.)
>
> Nama is Debian packaged. That version behaves reasonably well.
> You can also easily update to the latest/greatest version
> from github.
>
> http://freeshell.de/~bolangi/cgi1/nama.cgi/00home.html

Thanks very much, Joel.  I'll take a look.  But you illustrate my main problem
very well.  In this context, what are transport and special effects??  Well,
I could possibly guess what special effects are, but "transport"???

I simply don't know enough about recording to be able to use and/or understand
anything beyond start, stop, fast forward, rewind, record and save. And it
would be nice to be able to see whether or not anything is being recorded!

Lisi