Re: Grub2 reinstall on raid1 system. 2nd Corrections!!!!!

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 07:19:03 -0600
Jack Schneider <puck@dp-indexing.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:42:49 -0700
> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>
> > Jack,
> >
> > With your pastebin information and the mdstat information (that last
> > information in your mail and pastebins was critical good stuff) and
> > I found this old posting from you too:  :-)
> >
> >   http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2009/10/msg00808.html
> >
> > With all of that I deduce the following:
> >
> >   /dev/md125 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdc1 (10G) root partition with no lvm
> >   /dev/md126 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdc5 (288G) LVM for /home, /var,
> > swap, ... /dev/md127 /dev/sdb /dev/sdd (465G) as yet unformatted
> >
> > Jack, If that is wrong please correct me.  But I think that is
> > right.
> >

> That is Exactly correct.
>

> > The mdstat data showed that the arrays are sync'd.  The UUIDs are as
> > follows.
> >
> >   ARRAY /dev/md/125_0 metadata=0.90
> > UUID=e45b34d8:50614884:1f1d6a6a:d9c6914c ARRAY /dev/md/126_0
> > metadata=0.90 UUID=c06c0ea6:5780b170:ea2fd86a:09558bd1
> > ARRAY /dev/md/Speeduke:2 metadata=1.2 name=Speeduke:2
> > UUID=91ae6046:969bad93:92136016:116577fd
> >
> > The desired state:
> >
> >   /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdc1 (10G) root partition with no lvm
> >   /dev/md1 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdc5 (288G) LVM for /home, /var, swap, ...
> >
> > Will get to /dev/md2 later...
> >
> > > My thinking is that I should rerun mdadm and reassemble the arrays
> > > to the original definitions...  /md0  from sda1 & sdc1
> > > 			     /md1  from sda5 & sdc5  note: sda2
> > > &sdc2 are  legacy msdos extended partitions.
> > > I would not build a md device with msdos extended partitions under
> > > LVM2 at this time..   Agree?
> >
> > Agreed.  You want to rename the arrays.  Don't touch the msdos
> > partitions.
> >
> > > Is the above doable?  If I can figure the right mdadm
> > > commands...8-)
> >
> > Yes.  It is doable.  You can rename the array.  First stop the
> > array. Then assemble it again with the new desired name.  Here is
> > what you want to do.  Tom, Henrique, others, Please double check me
> > on these.
> >
> >   mdadm --stop /dev/md125
> >   mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 --update=super-minor /dev/sda1 /dev/sdc1
> >
> >   mdadm --stop /dev/126
> >   mdadm --assemble /dev/md1 --update=super-minor /dev/sda5 /dev/sdc5
> >
> > That should by itself be enough to get the arrays going.
> >
> > But, and this is an important but, did you previously add the new
> > disk array to the LVM volume group on the above array?  If so then
> > you are not done yet.  The LVM volume group won't be able to
> > assemble without the new disk.  If you did then you need to fix up
> > LVM next.
> >

> NO!  I did NOT add /dev/sdb and /dev/sdd to the LVM..  So that is not
> a problem.. I was about to do that when the machine failed..
>
> > I think you should try to get back to where you were before when
> > your system was working.  Therefore I would remove the new disks
> > from the LVM volume group.  But I don't know if you did or did not
> [...]

  Bob, You cannot know how much I appreciate the time and effort you
  and others have given to this, hopefully a few more steps and all
 will be well..
  I have not done the things you have suggested above. I'll wait for
 your response and then go!!!

  One other thing I am bothered by, md0, md1 were built using md
 metadata v0.90, md2 was built with the current mdadm metadata v 1.3
 which changed the md names.  Does this matter????

 Jack