Re: GMail backup on debian

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:45:34 +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

>   Last week I decided to back up some of my mails from my gmail
> account. I remember that there used to be gmailfs mechanism for this.
> However the package is not available on my debian/squeeze anymore.
>   I also tried using the imap service, using evolution, but it became
> quickly a nightmare (it is just impossible to retrieve just a single
> mail). I even selected 'Basic Headers' from the IMAP headers preferences
> in evolution.
>
>   What are other people using when there gmail mailbox is becoming big ?

Another thing to try:

http://blog.fealdia.org/2008/08/11/backing-up-gmail-on-debian-using-isync/

But I use the manual way and try to keep the mailbox folders in a good
shape to avoid having lots (thounsands!) of message is just one "label".

Split messages by years/topics is the clue to have a "sane" Gmail :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón