JACK configuration

Hi all,

I am attempting to record audio on my laptop.  To this end, i've installed Ardour/JACK.  I have *finally* managed to get ALSA to work.  However, I now have a problem - the sound that is wired into the Mic In jack on the front of the laptop will play back (so basically my laptop is functioning as a speaker), but I can't seem to figure out how to get JACK to connect.  Can anyone help me configure JACK so that the input will go to Ardour?  The connection graph shows that system:capture1 and system:capture2 are wired to go to Ardour:Audio In 1 and Ardour:Audio In 2, respectively (so it seems like this should work).  However, when the Ardour is prepped for record, the volume bars that indicate input volume are relatively static, while I can hear sound being played back.  After recording, the track is silent.

Portions of the output of amixer that look relevant:

Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 18 [58%] [-7.50dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 18 [58%] [-7.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost',0
  Capabilities: volume penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Front Left: 0 [0%]
  Front Right: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 25 [81%] [25.50dB] [off]
  Front Right: Capture 25 [81%] [25.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',1
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 25 [81%] [25.50dB] [off]
  Front Right: Capture 25 [81%] [25.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
  Capabilities: cenum
  Items: 'Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line' 'CD'
  Item0: 'Mic'