Re: removal of a program/module

On the 16/01/2011 19:55, Klaus Jantzen wrote:
> tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
>> On the 16/01/2011 14:13, Klaus Jantzen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to remove a program/module.  As I have  probably played
>>> around with it too often
>>> I cannot get rid of it.
>>> Now, whenever I try to install  another program, I get the message
>>>
>>> "texlive-lang-cyrillic: subprocess post-removal script returned error
>>> exit status 1"
>>>
>>> and nothing is installed.
>>> Even when I ask synaptic to only remove that module I get the same
>>> message.
>>>
>>> What do I have to do to remove the module?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> ls /var/lib/dpkg/info | grep texlive-lang-cyrillic
>>
>> should give you a list off pre/post install scripts, since the message
>> talks about post-removal look at the script ending in ".postrm" and see
>> if you can find what's going wrong in the script (looking to remove
>> non-existent directory ?).
>> If you can't find what's wrong with the script you can move it aside and
>> purge the package again, but be aware that any necessary action which
>> should have been performed by the ".postrm" script will no happen,
>> potentially leaving unwanted stuff in your system.
>>
>> Also have a look at the bugs for this package, this may already be a
>> known issue.
>>

> With the command you posted I found the various scripts for
> texlive-lang-cyrillic.
> I tried to find out where ...postrm had a problem but I did not succeed
> (did'nt try too much).
> So I "removed" .postrm by renaming it and called Synaptic again to
> remove this package:
> Success! It disappeared and I hope I never see it again.
> Now installations work again.
>
> Thank you for your fast help.

Glad it helped, but now cyrillic language is probably still registered
in your texlive installation, since the postrm script is supposed to do
some clean-up there after texlive-lang-cyrillic is removed. A good move
if you can't identify what went wrong in the script would be to check
your texlive install (maybe "dpkg-reconfigure" texlive-base and
texlive-common at least), then reinstall/purge texlive-lang-cyrillic.
Now you know the workaround if it goes ashtray again, and if it works it
may spare you some problems later on when you'll have forgotten about
the incident.