Re: Re: How to make an upgraded system clean by automatically removing abandoned config files?

> Although some people think that APT's new autoremove feature will make
> deborphan obsolete I still find it useful.  'sudo orphaner' or 'sudo
> orphaner -a' for the full list.  (I expect many will reply that
> aptitude does it better.  That's nice.  I like deborphan better.)

Thanks for the tip.

> Oh my goodness there are a lot of untracked files!  How many?

For me, it's 1338. I think this has to do mostly with post-install
files, ones that aren't in the package list.

> If I were really wanting to track this down on my system then I would
> install a fresh copy of squeeze in a chroot.

It would be nice if the piuparts did something like this, comparing an
unmodified, then upgraded, system in chroot against a fresh install in
another chroot. That way, package maintainers would be alerted to when
a package abandoned unmodified config files.

...Also, it would be nice to have a command that does something like:

$ aptitude purge-and-reinstall '~i'

without actually deleting anything that would be removed then put
back into place. That would allow doing the command on packages
pointing to running programs.

Thanks for the help. :)
-Drew