backup [was Re: Help with a bash script please]

Jochen Schulz wrote:
Adrian Levi:
This is going to be my new backup script,
I don't want to keep you from learning shell scripting, but I generally
advise against scripting your own backup solution. From my experience
the result is error prone, tends to attract feature creep and is hard to
deploy to new environments. I suggest taking a look at rsnapshot. It's
even extensible with custom scripts. ;-)
You might also want to look at backupninja, which is similar. Works with rdiffbackup to generate nightly incremental backups. I shifted from a bash script a couple of years ago - much better results.