Re: [OT] Hard Drive Energy Not Worth Conserving drives?

Stan Hoeppner:
> Jochen Schulz put forth on 1/11/2011 3:19 AM:
>
>> And those pesky 4k blocks will never take hold. 512 bytes were a good
>> idea in the 1950s, so what's wrong with it now!?
>
> 4KB blocks are great.  Too bad these drives report 512B blocks to the kernel,
> which is what causes the problem.  "Advanced format" = hybrid, not native.

My WD10EARS (not the 2TB variant that this thread was about) looks correct:

# hdparm -I /dev/sdc | grep "Sector size"
        Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes
        Physical Sector size:                  4096 bytes

# hdparm -I /dev/sdc | grep Model
        Model Number:       WDC WD10EARS-22Y5B1

> When we have _native_ 4KB sectors things will be much better, at least for
> larger file types.  For mail servers native 4KB sectors will waste a lot of
> platter space...

Don't we already waste that space with our filesystems? Ext2 cannot use
blocks smaller than 1024 Bytes, as far as I can see. And by default even
4kB are used for small filesystems (<5GB on my /).

J.
--
It is not in my power to change anything.
[Agree]   [Disagree]