Re: Basic questions about Debian package tools

On Monday 10 January 2011 12:04:27 pt3asw@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it true I should avoid APT and use some other frontend or, better,
> dpkg directly?
> I tried aptitude, but I don't like ncurses-based tools. I prefer the
> classic command line if possible.

I have used aptitude on the command line since shortly after I started using
Debian.  I have never used the GUI, although I have looked at it.  I much
prefer the command line.  I am comfortable and familiar with aptitude, and it
is recommended in Lenny, which I am still using.

I shall certainly install Squeeze with apt-get as instructed, but I doubt that
I shall immediately stop using Aptitude.

If I want a GUI version of apt (e.g. to give someone who would faint at sight
of the command line) I use Synaptic, and I sometimes use Synaptic to search
for packages.  But I still use aptitude to sort out any problems!

Lisi