Re: Basic questions about Debian package tools

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 01:04:27PM +0100, pt3asw@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a Debian Squeeze new user and have some basic questions about
> Debian package tools.
>
> Is it true I should avoid APT and use some other frontend or, better,
> dpkg directly?

Who told you to stay unhappy?

> I tried aptitude, but I don't like ncurses-based tools. I prefer the
> classic command line if possible.

Well, you can use it as command line if you read its manual.

Besides, APT comes with apt-get/apt-cache which is pure command line w/o
ncurses.  I reaally do not see why you avoid ncurses for all cases
unless you have some visual challenges.

> How can I obtain the list of sources currently used by installed packages?
> For example, since I have "gcc" installed, it should show "main", and
> since I also have "firmware-iwlwifi", it should include "non-free",
> too.
> This is for checking if /etc/apt/sources.list is consistent with
> installed packages.

I guess ... you need to read basic readings ...
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html

> I'm not sure if the following procedure is right for staying up to date:
> apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get autoremove --purge; apt-get autoclean
> Am I missing something else?

Archive is not so simple .... use best tools for all occasions...

Osamu