Re: Re (2): OpenVPN server mode usage.

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Do the packets arrive at dalton?  You should be able to see this with
> > tcpdump.
> >   tcpdump -lni any port 1194
>
> Tried that and found 0 datagrams reaching Dalton.  In fact
> datagrams don't even reach the external interface on Joule.

They don't reach the external interface?  That is an excellent clue.
But I think it might be a problem trying to have traceroute do it.

> Can you make traceroute send a datagram to the external interface?

I don't know.  I haven't ever tried to use traceroute that way.  If it
is capable of doing that then great.

But I would try netcat instead.  It is a good tool for flinging
packets across the net.  Try something like this:

  joule: echo foo | nc -u dalton 1149

You should see that show up in your tcpdump traces.  If so then you
know the packets are arriving.

> Did something break in the Squeeze network infrastructure about
> a two weeks back?

Most of my machines are running Lenny.  So I wouldn't know.

Bob