From: Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 12:47:38
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Debian or Mint for Games?

[re-wrapped to 72 characters]

On Sb, 08 ian 11, 08:44:25, teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net wrote:

> So question being is there really any advantages to Mint in the gaming
> arena over the capabilities of Debian itself? Really logic tells me
> GNU is GNU, and a personally configured system is always better, but
> not knowing my way around the Linux gaming world esp. Graphics support
> maybe Mint would offer less of an upstream battle... Thoughts??

You said nothing about the games you intend to play. For free games I
would choose the one which has the games I need already packaged
(preferably by the distro, not third party).

OTOH, if you want to try Windows only games Debian's wine is a bit old.
Even wine-unstable in unstable is still only 1.1.32. To get StarCraft II
working I had to use wine1.3 (1.3.10?) from the Ubuntu PPA for 10.10,
which seems to work fine on squeeze. I took the risk because this was a
dedicated install which I was willing to trash, I wouldn't have risked
that on my main system.

Regards,
Andrei