Re: EXT4 File system viewer for Windows 7 pro 64 bit

On 2011-01-07 18:29:06 -0600, John Foster wrote:
> On 1/7/2011 12:40 PM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >On Vi, 07 ian 11, 10:50:33, John W Foster wrote:
> >>I have to use Windows 7 Pro 64 bit for some work I do. i want to know if
> >>anyone knows of a viewer or file manager that I can install in Windows 7
> >>64bit that will allow me to peruse or copy to&  from a Debian EXT4 file
> >>system. I have both on the same machine but ofcourse only run one at a
> >>time,&  when I,m in the Debian system I can do this easily. Microsoft
> >>simply does not provide such a crossover tool. Any suggestions?
> >>John
> >A few years back, when I was still dual-booting I was using a plugin for
> >Total Commander. It could read/write ext2 and maybe also ext3, which was
> >new at the time. Maybe it was updated for ext4?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Andrei
> Thanks for these tips. It did give me an idea as well. I have
> something free commander
> that I use from my portable apps drive. I have not tried that. maybe.....

John,

I have a dual-boot Windows/Debian computer, and I use Free Commander
on the Windows installation. I don't think Free Commander will help you
with this problem.

I have mostly given up trying to read ext# from Windows. When I looked into
it, I found the following problems:

1. Most of the solutions were written for ext2. They "might work" for ext3.
I'd _speculate_ that the old solutions would not be able to read ext4.

2. They were "installable file system" solutions, rather than a real part
of the operating system. I'm not an expert at it, but I didn't trust it
at the time. Read more:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installable_File_System

3. I think I had trouble even installing these old options on 64-bit Windows.

So I came to the conclusion that this was just a shortcoming of Windows.
I would be happy to know if you found something trustworthy that works.

Hope this helps,

Phil