Re: making a pdf file smaller the debian way....

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 02:42:28 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> Here is what I did here:
>
> The google search suggestion was to do this:
>
> gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen
> -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf

(...)

> The info and man write ups are a bit babbitesque/delphic for me.   I
> will look at the ghostscript documentation package I installed and see
> if I can figure out what this set of commands are doing here a bit more
> clearly while being glad that they worked.

When it comes to PDF size, it's all about resolution and images
compression method.

What does the above command is outputing a PDF with lower quality and a
higher compression method for images and you get all that by using "-
dPDFSETTINGS=/screen" which is a "shorcut" for a mode that automatically
reduces the whole dpi of the document (maybe from 1200dpi to 300/600dpi)
and sets images to 72dpi resulting in a reduced PDF file size.

Other preset modes are "-dPDFSETTINGS=/print" and "-dPDFSETTINGS=/press"
which provides higher quality PDF and so, a bigger file size.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón