Re: making a pdf file smaller the debian way....

OK,

Here is what I did here:

The google search suggestion was to do this:

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen
-dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf

What is peculiar here is that man gs and info gs find the NOPAUSE
QUIET and BATCH commands or options or whatever they are called but
the DEVICE=pdfwrite isn't obvious in there at all...  Neither is
PDFSETTINGS.  Nevertheless someone knew this...

So I tried the above command substituting my pdf file as input.pdf and
creating a suitable name for output.pdf and then hit return in a
sheepish ignorant kind of way and amazingly enough it worked.  I got a
pdf file that was much smaller in size but looked fine in evince.

The info and man write ups are a bit babbitesque/delphic for me.   I
will look at the ghostscript documentation package I installed and see
if I can figure out what this set of commands are doing here a bit
more clearly while being glad that they worked.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Michael Fothergill