Re: [OT] Stupid consumers and inferior hardware

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 08:33:28PM EST, John Jason Jordan wrote:

[..]

> It will be a long time before I install an nVidia proprietary driver
> again.

When I installed ‘lenny’ on this new laptop, the ‘nv’ driver was the
default. At some point I figured I'd watch some TV news, and I noticed
that the successive frames were not rendered smoothly and that the audio
was unpleasantly lagging. I noticed the same with diverse podcasts and
yotube flsame flash videos.

I proceeded to install the version of the proprietary nvidia driver that
comes with ‘lenny’ and everything I threw at it was just about as smooth
as on my TV.

Am I mistaken in assuming that you now need hardware acceleration for
a pleasant video experience?

I have not tried the ‘nouveau’ driver and have not had the time to
research it and verify how well my card is supported.

I could be wrong but my impression is that due to Nvidia's policies,
support for recent video cards is usually either non-existent or
incomplete (?)

So, depending on your hardware and what you plan to do with it, I'm not
sure you can stay away from proprietary drivers at this point.

cj