Re: [OT] Stupid consumers and inferior hardware

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> It will be a long time before I install an nVidia proprietary driver
> again.
> ... so I uninstalled nVidia's driver and reinstalled nouveau. Going
> back to nouveau turned out to be a major PITA. ...
> ... I have spent hours trying to figure out what makes those apps
> think there is an nVidia library,

You didn't say but I think from this I can tell that you installed the
binary nvidia driver using the vendor nvidia installer.  Which is
different from installing the non-free Debian packaging of that same
driver.

The vendor installer doesn't track the files and therefore
uninstalling is particularly a problem.  There isn't a handle on what
to remove.  Unless extreme care is taken it is difficult to get back
to the state from before the installation.

That is one of the big advantages of installing using a package
manager such as dpkg.  When uninstalling the package the system state
is returned to the known previous state.

Bob