Re: access point using 3945

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:30:52 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> OTOH, it seems that "iwl3945" driver does not allow the card to be
> set in master mode (AP), as you said:
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
>
> Additional documentation on this can be found here:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd

aargh.  I think I finally figured out what's going on - the web pages
were quite confusing.  looks like I'm SOL, and that I do _have_ to use
the iwl3945 driver for the device.  I thought it had been superceded by
an open-source driver which provided AP functionality.

I was wrong.  don't buy this card if you want to turn it into an AP.
All you folks that think closed-source drivers don't matter - this
is why it does.  I can't do this precisely because this goofy card uses
a closed source binary firmware load.

Brian