Re: access point using 3945

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:30:52 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> OTOH, it seems that "iwl3945" driver does not allow the card to be
> set in master mode (AP), as you said:
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers

That is correct.

> Additional documentation on this can be found here:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd

Which tells me this:

#change wlan0 to your wireless device
interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ssid=test
channel=1

If that config errors out with something like:

hostapd $ sudo hostapd ./hostapd.conf
Configuration file: ./hostapd.conf
Line 2: invalid/unknown driver 'nl80211'
1 errors found in configuration file './hostapd.conf'

that means that your distro is not shipping hostapd with nl80211 driver
support...

ergo - Debian hostapd package is not shipping with nl80211 support.
Whether that is, in fact, the correct driver to use is a different
story.  So far it looks like it _should_ work with the 3945 AND should
provide master mode functionality.  And really it looks like the debian
package isn't shipping with ANY of the drivers.  Maybe they are
supposed to be kernel drivers ? I don't think so, as the above web page
tells me that these are supposed to be user space.

I'm in the unfortunate position of blazing a trail here.  Most of the
information is scattered all over and contradictory.

 Brian