Re: [FIXED] saytime kills sound

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:42:42 +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

* Camaleón [101230 17:23 +0000]:
[...]
Nope, it's not even visible :-?
Don't bother us with wasteful stuff.

That sounds a bit rough... what do you exactly consider is "wasteful" in helping people?

See [0]. Saytime is actually
unusable.

Well, that can explain some things (distorted sound output) but once you are stuck and lost your sound at all, it would be nice to know how to restore it without the needing of restarting the system.

There is something funny going on: when you get the source you do not get the Debian version: because that mentions using sox and there is no sox call through execl in saytime.c.

So I took the source that one gets with 'apt-get source saytime' and
changed it:

1. Don't write to /dev/audio but use excl to call sox to write to /dev/dsp.
2. Generate the deb with 'dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -rfakeroot' and then execute the binary through the alsa-oss wrapper, like so: 'aoss saytime'

That says the time clearly and does not kill the sound.

I enclose the patch as an attachment, if such a thing is possible.

The source package contains 2 sound directories: /sounds and /debian/sounds-david.shar. The latter is lower in volume that the former. And the voices are different, the latter has a British accent. So I introduced an optional argument -v to raise the volume. One advantage of using sox...

Hugo